Saturday, December 22, 2012

Twas 3 Days Before Christmas

... and C is on his way home. He has been in TN since this past Sunday for work, and I'm so glad he's getting home today or we'd be late for his birthday/Christmas Eve party with his family. Plus, I miss him.

The only really exciting thing going on this past week was my new Wald bike basket that I have yet to use. Unfortunately, to get anywhere good to ride we either have to ride our bikes down a busy 2-lane highway, or we have to drive our bikes to a good starting point. Maybe we will get a chance to ride tomorrow, but that is unlikely. Isn't he cute? I'll call him Waldo.



Okay I lied, I used it once-- Davie is the best sport

I guess having a half day for work on Thursday and being off on Friday was also exciting. Off until January 3rd!

I had two work parties to attend this week; a potluck after school on Wednesday, and the other with my favorite ODU bunch yesterday for lunch at Traveler's restaurant in Amherst, VA. I thought it was a great little lunch or dinner spot; very cute and the food was good and priced right. For both events I made my favorite buttery cookies, Snickerdoodles. They are made of butter, sugar, and the slightest hint of flour. Everyone seems to love these (or they are just great liars), so here is that recipe:

Snickerdoodles
  • 1 stick butter, softened
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1  1/2 cups all-purpose flour (I use slightly more, as in I do not level off the flour)
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • 2 Tbsp sugar
  • 2 tsp cinnamon

Cream together butter and sugar. Beat in the egg, then stir in vanilla. Combine your dry ingredients and add to wet, stirring as you go. Roll the dough into 24 small balls (about ping pong ball size), then roll each one in your combined sugar and cinnamon mixture. Bake on 375*F for 8-10 minutes, or until golden. Let cool for a few minutes on the cookie sheet, then transfer to a cooling rack.

Book update:
  • I finished Ridiculous by D.L. Carter, and yes, it ended up being a romance. Woo. It wasn't too bad though ;) It was silly, but I loved the ending!
  • I couldn't get started on Eldest. I tried, but I'm just not into it right now. Plus, I have a back log of books to read that I've gotten from the library and that people have lent to me. I will try this series again at another time.
  • Right now: I'm reading Hush Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick. This is one of those that have been lent to me, so I'm diving right in. It is supposed to be another Twilight knockoff (with a twist of course), so I'm a little hesitant, but I'll give it a try. So far: Bella is a 10th grader who lives with a single and absent mother who travels constantly for work (don't worry, they have a maid), Edward is a good-looking moody dark angel of some sort, and Forks, WA is Maine. And the Edward character is called... Patch. I'm only on chapter 3, so that's all I've got for now.
  • I am also re-reading Little Women on my Kindle. Perfect time of year for this book!
Merry Christmas everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment